The top five news stories from 2023


What a year it’s been!

From big model launches to big policy changes, it’s seen the industry start to break the shackles of the COVID-19 crisis and supply shortages, as it gears up for an electrified future.

As we look forward to 2024, here are the news stories that garnered the most attention throughout the year.

Chinese and Indian drivers now need to sit proper driving tests

Drivers from China, India, Nepal and other unrecognised countries are on notice when it comes to driving in New South Wales.

MORE: Read the full story

Thousands of vulnerable Australian drivers in limbo after rule change

A quiet rule change has thrown a veil of uncertainty over thousands of autistic drivers in Australia.

The ABC reports last year a change was quietly made to the Assessing Fitness to Drive standards, which now state autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a condition that “should be assessed individually”.

MORE: Read the full story

Is the Ford Falcon coming back?

Ford has filed a trademark for the Falcon name… in Mexico.

Ford Authority reports the Blue Oval brand trademarked the name there on May 12, 2023. While it’s not unusual for companies to hold onto trademarks to protect heritage nameplates, Ford has been busily resurrecting old names.

A Mexican-market Ford wearing the Falcon name would also have company from another ex-Australian nameplate: Territory.

MORE: Read the full story

What do those green stickers on roadside posts mean?

Ever wondered what those green stickers mean on highway-side reflector posts in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria?

The ‘3-2-1 green reflectors’ were originally created for truck drivers to assist with short stop points where drivers can check their cargo or pull over for a small rest if they are tired.

The initiative was started by road safety advocate and truck driver Rod Hannifey.

MORE: Read the full story

Another state looks to kill electric car support in Australia

New South Wales could soon become the second state in Australia to axe its electric vehicle (EV) rebates following remarks from Premier Chris Minns.

As reported by the Australian Associated Press and The Driven, Mr Minns has said he’s considering scrapping the EV subsidies as part of the upcoming budget.

“We’ve got a subsidy in place that we think is pushing up the costs of EVs and we’re seeing EVs take up from about two per cent to eight per cent in the marketplace,” said Mr Minns.

MORE: Read the full story





Source link

Latest articles

Related articles

spot_img